Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bad mom moment!

Ok so how did my daughter end up in the middle of the street with an angel of a stranger?????!!

Oh thats right her mom is terrible. How in the world does an 18 month old escape a church?? Well I learned that just because your kid can't even begin to open a door, you cannot let them outta your sight for a second. That was my first mistake!!!! I put on her coat in the lobby and popped my head into the gym to say good bye and poof she was gone. Second mistake: I didn't look outside first, assuming she had to be in the building. Oh my gosh I have never been so scared!! When I heard 'they're out here in the street!' I just about died! A 3 year old and an 18 month old off on an adventure. Oh I am so glad they were both ok. I sat in my car and cried and cried. I have never wanted to hug a stranger so much. I didn't even get to thank her. By the time I got Kyla from my gf and thought to look up I didn't see anyone.

The full weight of what precious, innocent little children we are entrusted with really hit me today. I had forgotten how fast things can go wrong. The thought of what could have very easily happened still brings tears to my eyes. So from now on when u see the crazy mom, who won't let her child more than 3 feet away ... you'll understand that I am trying to make up for how terrible I was today.

4 comments:

Lahni said...

I made the same mistake of looking inside first! I know Denver couldn't have opened that door either. Poor little guy, my first response was to yell at him! Don't worry, I was a mess about it later too. Kids!

Crystal HW said...

I would have been a mess too! Especially since I am one who would do just as you did. I never would have thought about Samantha escaping outside until now. THanks for the lesson learned!

Congrads on the pregnancy!!!

kelseyp said...

I think everyone has been there.. it is so scary. sophie escaped onto a busy street once and i would lay in bed for weeks after and imagine what could have happened and it would get me upset all over again. you are such a sweet mommy. don't beat yourself up about it. you love your little girl more than anything and that's why it's so upsetting.. therefore you are an amazing mom to love her so much. ps. that's so exciting your expecting again. it was so fun running into you in kalispell.. how random was that?

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie, I found your blog. Cute! So I had an experience like that too. Me and the girls were at the Chinook mall (ya......) They were just little. I was holding their hands but in the moment of getting a shirt off the rack at Old Navy I looked down and Paige was gone. My heart sank. Oh my gosh!!!!! I freaked out totally in my mind. I was about to scream and tell everyone to STOP and look for my baby and then Jada found her in the middle of the clothes rack hiding in the clothes underneath like she was funny. I was so taken back just like you. Never again would I take my eye's off her.....But lifes lessons keep coming and I keep having "holy cow" moments, that Heavenly Father totally entrusted these 2 cute girls to me. I just better keep up to what I'm blessed to have! Your not alone. Miss you guys! Give Kyla a big hug for me. Love Johy